Despite their smaller size, rats are remarkably resourceful, capable of adapting to new environments and inflicting damage to homes and businesses.
You are most likely to be invaded by rats once the weather cools over summer and instinctively the rodents will seek shelter for the warmth it provides which is why millions of Australians find their homes infested with the rodents over winter. Once inside it is only so long before they make themselves at home and begin eating foodstuffs and damaging your property by gnawing at furniture and even electrical wiring.
So can you completely get rid of rats? Fortunately the answer is that you can take a number of preventative measures to ensure you keep your home as rodent free as possible.
Tips on keeping rats out of your home
- Noticing the signs of early infestation are key. Be on the look out for things such as gnaw marks on food and door frames as well as any unexplained droppings.
- Seal up any gaps such as those found underneath doors with a door sweep. Rats have flexible bones and smaller rats may be able to slip through underneath a door if the gap is over 1cm.
- Store food products in tamper proof containers to prevent them being used as a food source for the rodents.
- Keep your home clear of clutter.
- Make sure your roof void and subfloor spaces are dry and well ventilated.
- Make sure you empty your garbage can frequently to dispose of any sources of potential food.
If you are currently infested with rats it will only get worse if it is not treated. In order to keep rats at bay you must continue to look out for signs such as scurrying in roof voids and gnawing of surfaces. Combining proper pest control with the preventive measures taken above can ensure that rats are kept completely out of your home.
If you believe you are currently infested with rats give Pestless pest control a call and we will be more than happy to answer any of your questions and provide a free quote to organise an inspection before your rat problem gets out of hand.